2021 Legislative briefing breakfast
Thank you for your support! Event photos and legislative update below.
Legislative advocacy work can take years to mature and come to fruition but protecting life through law is the formula for long lasting change. It is the foundation to the daily work of sidewalk advocates, education forums, prayer rallies; the other side of the equation to safeguarding the right to life and Greater Toledo Right to Life (GTRTL) has been actively pursuing life matters locally and in Columbus. Here is a legislative update. Please put these bills on your prayer list and consider calling your state representative and senator to let them know you want to see them support LIFE with their vote.
- Life at Conception bill recognizes the preborn boys and girls as a person, regardless of the age of the preborn human. It prohibits all from killing these persons regardless of age by outlawing elective abortion in the State of Ohio. Furthermore, it holds abortionists criminally responsible for purposefully performing abortions and protects women who are forces into having abortions. This bill is in the beginning stages of working on sponsors.
- Ambulatory Surgical Facilities Regulations will update Ohio’s las to treat independent (non-hospital associated) ambulatory surgical facilities like other professional practices, with ownership transparency and having a medical professional be the responsible parties for the business. This legislation has been approved by legislative committee. GTRTL is communicating with the Association of Ambulatory Surgery Centers. This is in need to finalize sponsor and will be introduced soon.
- Woman’s Right to Know bill requires abortion providers to give information during the informed consent period prior to an abortion relative to the possibility of breast cancer related to abortion, and to the possibility of experiencing post-traumatic stress symptoms associated with abortion, and to require abortion facility employees to be trained in the most recent medically accurate information relative to these consequences of abortion. The final version of this bill’s language is being drafted by the Legislative Service Committee.
- Public Funding of Abortion bill will prohibit public facilities or private institutions of higher education from receiving state money if they perform or induce nontherapeutic abortions or employ or affiliate with a physician who does so. In process.
- Sustain Life is legislation that would re-write statute to ensure that hydration and nutrition of a patient will be identified as basic care rather than as a medical intervention which can be withdrawn from a patient by a provider. It also re-structures the law regarding the diagnosis of ‘persistent vegetive state’. This bill’s language needs to be finalized then it will circulate to the team for review before providing education to politicians and grassroots. Then it will move to finalize a sponsor to be introduced.
- Humanity of the Unborn Education Act would direct teaching of fetal development from conception through birth to students in Ohio’s high-school Health curriculum. It may be reintroduced by Senator Antani this session.
Thank you to Marsh and Marsh Attorneys and others for sponsoring the Student Tables at the breakfast and including the 'future of pro-life' in these key forums. Take a moment and introduce yourself to a student and ask about their pro-life views! Student groups represented from: Notre Dame Academy, Monclova Christian Academy, the University of Toledo and others. Call 419-535-5800 to ask about remaining seats at a student table seat or for your student group.